Tips and Safety



If you have a tip that you think is helpful or wish to ask a question about the use of candles then please email us on:




Never leave children or animals alone in a room with candles that are lit or still hot. Liquid candle wax can inflict serious burns. Keep burning candles out of reach of children.


Never leave burning candles unattended.


Preferably extinguish candles with a snuffer.


Never blow a candle out with a hard 'puff' as this is likely to blow hot wax over the surface beneath. Make sure that no one is near the candle if you choose to blow to extinguish. Always blow gently.


Always read and follow the instructions and remove packaging and decorations before lighting.


Keep candles that are lit well apart - we suggest 10cms - and make sure that they are supported and remain upright.


Keep candles away from sunlight or other sources of heat.


Keep candles out of draughts when they are lit.


Trim the wicks to about 1cm before re-lighting, this should avoid smoking and irregular burning.


Outdoor candles are meant to be burned in the open air. Do not light them indoors.


Keep pets and children well away from burning candles.


Always place candles on something that is suitable to protect surfaces while supporting the candles securely upright.


Floating candles are designed to be burned in water filled bowls.


Votive candles and tealights are designed in a special way. When lit the whole surface of the candle will turn liquid and after some time the whole candle can become liquid. These candles should always be placed in a stable container of the right size that will prevent liquid wax from being spilt.


Do not try to move lit candles - they will be hot and may burn you. Except in an emergency do not extinguish one of these candles until the surface has turned liquid.


Do not allow a naked flame to come into contact with the surface of a container.


Never attempt to extinguish a candle with water.




In case you get an overnight shower, cover outdoor candles after they have been extinguished to make sure that water doesn't get into the wick.


When lighting candles where the wick is someway down inside the candle use a Lighting Taper.


Our Lighting Tapers are much better for lighting candles and BBQ's than traditional matches. They are more resistant to being extinguished in draughts, you won't burn your fingers and you won't find bits of match in your candles making them unsightly and in danger of 'flaring'. BE SAFE - ALWAYS USE A LIGHTING TAPER TO LIGHT UP.


If you spill wax on soft furnishings or carpets you may be successful in removing it by placing absorbent brown or tissue paper over the spill and passing a warm iron over the paper which will absorb the wax. Keep placing a new section of paper over the spill until the wax has been removed. On cloth, put in the freezer and the wax should crumble off.


If you spill candle wax onto a polished or other smooth surface we suggest you allow it to cool and solidify before attempting to lift it off using a wooden or plastic utensil.


Most candles should be burned 3 hours at a time to avoid tunnelling of wax. Allow the wax to liquefy and pool on top before you gently blow it out.


Removing wax from candle holders can be easy. Simply put your holder (dependant on quality and size) in the freezer for 20 minutes and the wax should pop out as it contracts. Alternatively pour on hot water to liquefy wax, this should allow easier, safer scraping.