Glasgow Doors Open Days is a week long festival that celebrates Glasgow’s architecture, culture and heritage through a free programme of open buildings and events. This year the festival takes place between 10th and 16th September, and Shearer Candles are delighted to be taking part once again.
Venture behind the scenes of our working candle factory in Govan. Witness the different mesmerising production techniques perfected over 120 years by Shearer Candles as we manipulate masses of molten wax!
Learn about our company’s long-standing history and our relationship with Glasgow. Get an insight into how candle making and the machinery we use has evolved over the years with this guided tour of our working factory in Govan.
We will walk you through the life-span of a candle, from drawing board, to wax, wick, colour, scent, testing and through to first flame. You may even get to have a go yourself!
We will be showing small tours around our factory between Monday 10th September and Friday 14th September, five times a day at the following times:
9.30am, 11:00am, 12.30pm, 14:00pm, 15:30pm
Booking is essential and on a first come first serve basis. You’re able to reserve your place from 10am on 22nd August. We cannot guarantee you will be able to take part on the tour if you turn up without booking. To reserve your space, please visit the following address:
We have some strict guidelines we need to adhere to for health and safety reasons. Please take note of these at the bottom of this page ahead of your visit!
There are 115 venues taking part in the festival this year. Click here to explore them all!
Ahead of your visit, please be aware…
The majority of our tour takes place in a working factory environment; therefore it is not suitable for those with physical access requirements or children under 12 years old. We do not have anywhere secure to store pushchairs, accessibility scooters or wheelchairs.
Children under 12 years old are not permitted to enter the factory environment. Children between 12 and 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
PLEASE ALSO NOTE:
As we are a working factory, we ask you to be aware of the following prior to your visit:
– No jewellery must be worn in the production and warehouse areas with the only exception being a plain wedding band. If you arrive wearing jewellery, you will be asked to remove this for the duration of the tour.
– No nail varnish, false nails or false eyelashes are permitted in the production or warehouse areas. Visitors with nail varnish or false nails will be provided with latex gloves for the duration of the tour.
– Hair nets and beard covers for long facial hair must be worn at all times in the production and warehouse areas; these will be provided on arrival.
– Only BLUE plasters are permitted in production and warehouse areas. We will ask you to replace any other plasters on arrival. Loss of plasters must be reported to management.
– No food or drink is permitted in production or warehouse areas.