GLASGOW CANDLE COMPANY ILLUMINATES STV APPEAL
The family-run company designed the candles to mark its anniversary which will be sold exclusively at The Candle Store based at their factory in Govan from 17th August 2012.
The candle will cost £10 with £6 going straight to help Scotland’s most vulnerable children.
“We wanted to do something special to celebrate not just our 115 years of production, but it is also 40 years since the current family took over,”
“We felt that we had to do something different for this double celebration and we think creating the Fabulous Fig candles for the STV Appeal is the perfect way to commemorate these anniversaries.
“We have never made this scent before so it’s a real one-off. We have been so impressed by the efforts of the thousands of people who are raising money for the STV Appeal and we are delighted to be a part of that.”
About the STV Appeal
The STV Appeal 2012is committed to helping children and young people affected by poverty in Scotland. The STV Appeal was launched in 2011 by The Hunter Foundation and STV, and in its inaugural year raised almost £1.3m. The STV Appeal spends 100% of the money raised by the charity on the kids who most need it. Every single penny raised stays in Scotland. And as in 2011, the Scottish Government has once again committed to match funding the total amount raised.
- The STV Appeal, in partnership with The Hunter Foundation, is a major charitable venture for Scotland that was launched in 2011.
- The charity focuses on helping children and young people in Scotland affected by poverty.
- Every penny raised stays in Scotland – the money goes directly to support those children most in need.
- The STV Appeal has a long term aim to change perceptions and attitudes towards poverty and highlight it as the serious reality that is facing our country.
- We believe we can help address long-term sustainable change in the lives of those children most at risk, by tackling the causes as well as the effects of poverty and disadvantage.
- This involves working beyond reactive grant-making, by identifying key areas of unmet need and targeting resources to stimulate learning and positive change.
- The Appeal works closely with six major Scottish charities who are recognised as well established experts in the area of child poverty – Aberlour, Action for Children, Barnardo’s Scotland, Children 1st, Save the Children Scotland and One Parent Families Scotland
- The campaign primarily focuses on fundraising, awareness raising and challenging stereotypes, as well as helping to tackle both the causes and effects of child poverty.
- The first year of the STV Appeal was a resounding success, raising almost £1.3m. All funds were distributed to our identified projects within 8 weeks of closing.
- The STV Appeal aims to make a difference across the whole country – it is pan-Scotland.
- 48 cheque presentations were made funding at least one project in every single local authority area (32) in Scotland.
- The STV Appeal is the only charity where every pound raised is doubled by the Scottish Government and spent right here in Scotland on projects that can change the lives of children affected by poverty.
- The 2012 STV Appeal once again has the support of the Scottish Government, which is committed to match-funding the total amount raised in 2012.
- The STV Appeal is now firmly established as a force for good and recognised as one that is truly committed to making a real difference to children affected by poverty.
- STV Appeal is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation, number SC042429.
The Fabulous Fig candles for the STV Appeal will be on sale at The Candle Store, 23 Robert Street, Govan, Glasgow.
Be sure to visit soon before they sell out!